it’s an epidemic!

My partner got her hair cut last week!

She’d let her hair grow/stay long these last several years because I asked her to.  (That’s love….!)  Over the last year, ever since we moved, we haven’t been able to find THE hairdresser.  (You know, that ONE hairdresser out there for every person, seemingly as hard to find as a SOULMATE.)  Between what she thought of as increasingly sub-optimal cuts — as we tried a different place each time — and the fact that she really does look best in short hair, she’d become a bit sad and frustrated about how she looked.

So I let go of needing her to have longer hair.

And finally last week, the planets aligned — or whatever they do — and she found THE hairdresser and got THE cut.  Short, elegant, pixie… it’s totally her and she’s been literally bounding with adorable energy ever since.

And then…

My kid got her hair cut a few days ago!

She’s had long hair most of her life.  It’s very thick, and prone to knots and tangles.  When she was little, I kept it in a braid to save us many tears from ouches as I tried to brush through it in the early morning rush to get out the door.  I keep telling her that someday she’ll love having thick healthy hair… but the other day she decided it was time to let it go.

And she came home with BANGS and a stylish SHORT cut!  It has totally changed how she carries herself.  She’s all grown up.  It’s amazing.

And then…

My sister suggested that perhaps it was an epidemic!

Perhaps she wondered if I were next?

And, well, yes, I did get my hair cut.  Yesterday.  And yes, I was a bit bolder than usual, going perhaps quite a bit shorter than usual.  But it’s still past my shoulders.  I’d miss the swish too much, I think.  Short hair looks great (and maybe it even would on me), but it doesn’t move.  I’d be sad.

Maybe I’ll get too old for long hair someday.  Or maybe not.  I hope not.  The grey, so far, is silver and not dull.  I am grateful today for such small things.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to it’s an epidemic!

1. kathykampfer says:

All three haircuts are so adorable and perfect for each one of you! Renee got hers cut short and I got mine cut short too. It must be epidemic.

2. Adorable! Although I’m going to disagree that short hair doesn’t move. I think it depends on your hair texture. Mine is extremely fine, so it actually swings best when it’s about chin-length – once it’s past my shoulders, it’s too weighted down by its own length to do anything except hang limp. You, though, definitely have good hair for that longer length 😉 So cute!

• Mindy says:

Thanks! 🙂 And ah – makes sense. I did have almost short hair once, and remember it not moving… but hair can be so different. I like yours how it’s cut now, short in back and longer in front.

3. Vicki says:

can’t wait to see you two and your new locks. I might get inspired! 🙂

4. Wigs can be quite fun. I had three styles over the weekend, at different times. I still would like my own hair much thicker, though. Everyone dyes over here, and, yes, those who don’t have bright silver rather than dull grey.

5. Mindy says:

hee! I always wanted to try wigs!

• Testing to see how many times the filter needs recalibrated- I commented on a few Christian-hostile blogs, and with links, and have been filtered out. It is like being dumb.

• Mindy says:

You will not be filtered here, Clare Flourish! I am watching my spam queue especially to make sure you aren’t caught in it (although I am remiss in not doing it all that timely).

6. Mindy says:

Looks like Akismet now knows you are authentic and welcome. Yay!

• Yes. I found that once I was admitted once, I would be admitted thereafter with that particular blog, but the spamming lasted three months. In that time, if anyone commented on mine I would get their email address, so that I could comment and request release. But it is much better being free to comment anywhere.

7. Pauline says:

You have never looked prettier or happier as you have recently.

• Mindy says:

aw, thanks, Pauline. It must be all that grappling with paradoxes lol! (I just hit send on a comment in our other discussion, and then saw this comment. It warmed me) 🙂

8. Lynda says:

I was pondering hair length just the other day. It seemed to me as I looked around at the population that most women 20 years or so older than me had short hair. I almost vowed never to cut my hair as a defense to aging, but I can see the plus side of the reduced mane and it’s many temper tantrums. I have a personal aversion to short hair on me , due to that awkward stage in life when short hair made me look like a boy and my self esteem was a bit shaky. I will admit it is awful cute on some. I am not sure if I am brave enough to cut the locks. I am fond of flow and pony tails. But I threaten these wild locks ever once in awhile when they don’t behave and they wise up fast and perform. I think we will be bound for a while.

PS Ms Mindy you look marvelous